A literature review is an objective critical summary evaluation and clarification: Research Skills in Nursing Practice, UU, Ireland
|University||Ulster University (UU)|
|Subject||Research Skills in Nursing Practice|
Purpose of a literature review
A literature review is an objective, critical summary, evaluation, and clarification of published literature presented by other authors to provide the reader with a sound and reasoned argument outlining the current state of knowledge pertaining to the subject area. Its purpose is to create familiarity with current thinking, discourse, and research on a particular research topic.
The literature review should reflect up-to date knowledge in published material on your chosen topic. It is recommended that primary sources (preferably within the last five years) and seminal material are included.
When writing the review, it is important to organise the material in a structured way using the headings identified in the guidelines.
Undertaking a literature review involves a search and retrieval exercise using a systematic process of:
- Developing a clear research question
- Searching electronic databases using a systematic approach and appropriate key words
- Specifying both inclusion and exclusion criteria for including studies in your review
- Using critical appraisal to examine the research articles’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Synthesis of the research to uncover key themes and insights
Sources of literature
The following list includes literature you can include in your review:
- Peer-reviewed journal articles reporting on primary research studies
- Peer-reviewed journal articles reporting on secondary analysis (e.g., Systematic reviews and Qualitative evidence syntheses (QES)
Are You Searching Answer of this Question? Request Ireland Writers to Write a plagiarism Free Copy for You.
Students in Ireland often need report writing help when it comes to their assignments. Reports can be tricky to write, and many students struggle with putting together a coherent and well-written report. At QQI Assignments, we have a team of assignment writing experts who can help you with every step of the report writing process. So, if you’re stuck and need help, our team is here to provide the support you need.